1100 El Camino Real (El Rancho Inn Redevelopment)
Anton DevCo ("Developer") submitted a planning application on May 15, 2019. A Preliminary Application, pursuant to the Housing Crisis Act of 2019 (2019-SB330), was filed as of January 1, 2020. The Developer proposes to demolish the eight existing occupied residential units and the Best Western El Rancho Inn, which are currently located on three separate lots. The Developer proposes to construct a new five-story, 384-unit, multi-family apartment building on approximately 5.55 acres. 5%, or 19 units, will be made affordable at the Very Low-Income affordability level. The project includes 560 vehicle parking spaces and 72 bicycle parking spaces.
The Developer submitted a Consolidated State Density Bonus Law Letter of Intent requesting the following modifications/waivers from development standards that, if applied, the developer claims would physically preclude the project from being constructed at the density proposed:
- Waiver of the Zoning Code's maximum 40-foot height limit, which would accommodate a 3-story project. In order to achieve the proposed density, the Project, as currently proposed, requires an approximate maximum height of 63 feet- 5 inches and 5 stories, as measured to the top of roof/parapet.
- Waiver of the Zoning Code's density limit of 1,000 square foot minimum lot area per unit, which is the equivalent of 43.56 units per acre. The Project currently proposes 69 units per acre, or one unit per 633 square feet of lot area.
The current project plans show that a 1.2-acre parcel would be created through a Lot Line Adjustment and a Lot Merger. This parcel would remain vacant until a future planning application is submitted for development.
- Additional Property Addresses: 1150 El Camino Real and 33 and 35 Center Street
- Applicant: Anton DevCo
- Application Review Status: Complete. The applicant submitted an application for the 1) Adoption of a Sustainable Communities Environmental Assessment (SCEA) and 2) Design Review Permit approval.
- Contact Information: Garrett Borges, Development Manager, 650-249-6615
- Property Owners:
- APN 021-324-190: El Rancho Motel, Inc.
- APN 021-324-310: John Williams and Susan Williams, as Trustees
- APN 021-324-320: EMJP Partners LP
- Project Status: At the Planning Commission Hearing of March 7, 2022, the Planning Commissioners, by a vote of (5-0) approved the adoption of a SCEA and by a vote of (3 to 2) approved the Design Review Permit for the project located at 1100 El Camino Real, 1150 El Camino Real and 33 and 35 Center Street.
The City of Millbrae, as the lead agency under the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), has prepared a Sustainable Communities Environmental Assessment (SCEA) for the 1100 El Camino Real project. The SCEA is now available for public review and comment. Physical copies of the SCEA are available for review at City Hall Planning Division office (by appointment) located at 621 Magnolia Avenue, Millbrae, California 94030 and the Millbrae Library located at 1 Library Avenue, Millbrae, California 94030.
Electronic Environmental Review Documents
- Notice of Availability (NOA) and Intent to Adopt a SCEA for the Project (January 14, 2022) (PDF)
- Notice of Completion of the SCEA (PDF)
- Notice of Determination (NOD) to Adopt a SCEA for the Project (April 27, 2022) (PDF)
- Response to Comments (PDF)
- SCEA (January 2022) (PDF)
- SCEA Appendices A-M (January 2022) (PDF)
- Planning Commission Public Hearing - March 7, 2022 Video
- Planning Commission Study Session - May 18, 2020 Video
SCEA Public Review Period
Members of the public and public agencies were invited to provide comments in writing regarding the 1100 El Camino Real SCEA starting January 14, 2022 and ending at 5 pm on Monday, February 14, 2022. The public comment period has ended.
Email the Planning Division or call 650-259-2341.