Affordable Housing Resources
Affordable Housing in the City of Millbrae
While the City of Millbrae does not own or operate any affordable housing units, we have many resources to help you locate affordable housing and obtain other assistance.
New Privately Constructed Affordable Housing Units in Millbrae
Gateway at Millbrae Station
The Gateway at Millbrae Station TOD Project is currently under construction and will add 400 new apartments, office space, commercial space, and a new Residence Inn hotel.
Station 16 Apartments
Station 16 Apartments are located at 126 N Rollins Road, adjacent to the Millbrae BART station. This community is part of a larger mixed-use, transit-oriented development known as Gateway at Millbrae Station. Station 16 Apartments offers new studio, 1-bedroom, and 2-bedroom affordable apartment homes for rent.
There are a total of 20 affordable apartments available at Station 16 Apartments. Eligibility is income restricted, as are rents, in accordance with the Department of Housing and Community Development and other funding requirements. Maximum income restrictions range from $139,450 for one-person households to $215,150 for five-person households.
Applications are currently being accepted on a first-come, first-served basis with preference to applicants that live or work in Millbrae. For more information, or to apply, please email Station 16 or call 650-445-0116.
The Rollins at Gateway
The Rollins at Gateway is located at 181 North Rollins Road in Millbrae, adjacent to Millbrae Intermodal Station, and will provide 79 new apartment units affordable to low-income households. Tenants will be selected with a local resident or employee, and veterans' preference. The Rollins onsite amenities include a community room, a laundry room, bike storage, a fitness room with equipment, and an outdoor patio with barbeque tables and chairs provided. The site also offers easy access to BART, SamTrans, and Caltrain, bike lanes and trails with a future connection to the Bay Trail, public gathering spaces, pocket parks, plazas with public art, a dog park, plus inviting restaurants, and retail.
Eligibility is income restricted, as are rents, in accordance with the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit Program and other funding requirements. Maximum income restrictions range from $76,740 for a one-person household to $98,700 for a three-person household.
- 18 units set aside for veterans referred by VASH/Housing Authority of San Mateo County.
- 61 units with Veteran and Local Preference:
- A Veteran preference (2 points). A Veteran is person who served in the active military, naval, or air service and who was discharged or released from such service under conditions other than dishonorable.
- A Local preference (1 point). Applicants who live or work at the time of application interview and/or applicants that have lived or worked in at the time of submitting their initial application and can verify their previous residency/employment at the applicant interview.
For additional information, please contact the John Stewart Company at 650-583-8841 or TDD 415-345-4470. Please visit the project webpage.
San Mateo County Department of Housing
The City of Millbrae is pleased to share a new resource for finding affordable housing opportunities across San Mateo County. The County's website is in progress and aims to eventually serve as both a one-stop-shop for affordable rental housing and include a common short-form application to make your experience of applying for housing easier. The County provides a searchable website to help find housing in the County based on needs and budget. Property owners and managers throughout the county can post apartments or homes for rent any time. Please visit the SMC Housing Search website.
Other Countywide Affordable Housing Resources
- HIP Housing - HIP Housing manages a Home Sharing Program in the City of Millbrae that matches a home provider with a home seeker who pays rent, or who exchanges household duties for reduced rent. Most of HIP Housing's Home Providers have a room to rent in their residence and some have an Accessory Dwelling Unit. Visit HIP Housing or call 650-348-6660.
- HEART - The Housing Endowment and Regional Trust (HEART) of San Mateo County is a public/private partnership among the cities, the county, and the business, nonprofit, education, and labor communities to create more affordable housing opportunities in San Mateo County. To date, HEART has invested over $19 million to fund over 1,300 affordable homes. Visit the HEART of San Mateo County website or call 650-204-5640.
Other Countywide Housing Resources
- Legal Aid Society of San Mateo County - The Legal Aid Society provides tenant/landlord assistance and helps tenants who are having problems with their landlords. They offer legal counseling, advice, and representation for evictions, disputes over the condition of the premises, and illegal acts by landlords. Visit the Legal Aid Society of San Mateo County or call 650-558-0915
- Project Sentinel - Project Sentinel provides Tenant/Landlord Assistance and Fair Housing education, counseling, investigation, conciliation, advocacy, and enforcement services at no cost to residents. When appropriate, they connect clients with free legal representation. Visit the Project Sentinel website or call 650-321-6291.
- Community Legal Services of East Palo Alto - Free legal assistance for housing-related issues. Visit the Community Legal Services of East Palo Alto website or call 650-326-6440.
- Peninsula Conflict Resolution Center - Mediation, coaching, and collaborative problem-solving for landlords and tenants. Visit the Peninsula Conflict Resolution Center website or call the free mediation hotline at 650-345-7272.
- Samaritan House - Samaritan House provides a range of services and helps families avoid a major crisis and homelessness with emergency rent or assistance with utility bills. Rental assistance continues to be one of the most important and common needs of our clients as it allows families to avoid eviction and remain in their homes. This is one of the least costly and most effective services we provide to meet the housing need of our clients. Visit the Samaritan House website or call the free mediation hotline at 650-347-3648.