Starting a Business in the City of Millbrae
Business Tax Application & Renewal is Online
The City of Millbrae has contracted with HDL Companies to audit and administer the compliance of Business Tax Certificates. You can now apply for a new Business Tax Certificate and renew your existing certificate. Please use the following link to our Online Application and Renewal Site. Please note you will be leaving the City of Millbrae website and going to our hosted online site.
All business entities with a mailing address or location within the City of Millbrae, and all out-of-town business entities operating within the City of Millbrae are required to maintain an active City of Millbrae Business License (Millbrae Municipal Code Section 7.05)
- The City of Millbrae Business License year begins on July 1st and ends the following June 30th.
- All business entities and nonprofit organizations must first apply for, pay, and receive a Business License from the City of Millbrae before operations may commence.
- Before a Business License will be issued, each applicant is required to obtain approval from various City Departments utilizing the Departmental Approval Form (except for contractors located outside of the City limits). The City Departments will review the type of business activity; location; determine zoning; sign issues; and if additional permits or special procedures will be required.
- A Home Occupation Permit is required for all home-based businesses in addition to the Business License Application. The Home Occupation Permit has a one-time-only fee.
- Other business entities such as a Gun Dealer, Pawnbroker, Taxicab, Limousine, Door to Door Solicitation/Selling, Massage, or Towing Service, have other special procedures and/or permits.
- Copies of all Federal, State, and County registration documents must be submitted with the Business License application.
- It is the responsibility of the Business License applicant to renew their Business License each year
Business Licenses are not transferable: Please notify the City of Millbrae Finance Department immediately if there are any changes in business activity, name, location, or if the business is sold or closed.
Business License Application Form: Please be specific when describing the business activity. Include the name, home address, and Federal or social security number of all owners, partners, or corporate officers. A specific street address is required for the business location. A Business License will not be issued to a post office box or mailbox. Incomplete applications will not be processed and will be returned to the applicant.
Compliance with the registration requirements of all Federal, State, and County agencies is required before a Business License will be issued. Please review the list below and contact the appropriate Agencies.
Hours of Operation: 9 am to 4 pm
Finance Department Divisions
Contact Phone Numbers
- Accounts Payable:650-259-2355
- Business License:650-259-2321
- Utility Billing: 650-259-2420