November 8, 2022 - General Municipal Election
The Millbrae City Council adopted a resolution calling for a General Municipal Election on Tuesday, November 8, 2022, which voters in the City Council Districts 2 and 4 voted to elect a City Councilmember from each respective district for a four-year term. In addition, all Millbrae registered voters considered a Ballot Measure to increase the Transient Occupancy Tax by 2%.
The filing period for write-in candidates was September 12, 2022 through October 25, 2022. Write-in candidates must contact the City Clerk to obtain and file Write-In Nomination Papers, the Statements of Write-In Candidacy, and other required documents between these dates.
On July 26, 2022, the City Council adopted an ordinance amending the Municipal Code Chapter 3.30, Uniform Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT or "Hotel Tax"), increasing the TOT rate from 12% to 14%, if approved by a majority vote of the Millbrae electorate at the 2022 General Municipal Election.
The following ballot question will appear as Measure N on the 2022 election ballot:
"To continue funding, for the City of Millbrae only, that cannot be taken by Sacramento, for general city services such as: repairing potholes/streets; maintaining neighborhood/downtown police patrols; improving recreation programs/parks; attracting new businesses; and enhancing disaster response; shall a measure increasing by 2% the City of Millbrae's existing transient occupancy tax charged to hotel and lodging guests until ended by voters, providing an additional $1,500,000 annually, with citizens' oversight, independent audits, be adopted?"
Measure N Facts:
- If Measure N is approved by the voters, the transient occupancy tax paid by visitors staying in Millbrae hotels and other short-term lodgings will be increased by 2% to help pay for the local services visitors use while staying in Millbrae.
- The funds generated by Measure N will be controlled by Millbrae and used for local needs. The money cannot be taken by the state.
- Measure N will provide additional funding that Millbrae needs to continue to keep its neighborhoods safe from crime and fire, and make our community a place where families want to live and put down roots.
- Measure N will include citizens' oversight and independent audits.
For more information on Measure N, please see the Measure N Frequently Asked Questions (PDF).
If you are a member of a civic organization and would like to receive an informational presentation on Measure N, please email Millbrae Administration.
- City Council Report to Enact an Ordinance Amending Municipal Code Chapter 3.30 (Uniform Transient Occupancy Tax), Increasing the Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) Rate from 12% to 14%
- Ordinance 797: To Increase the Uniform Transient Occupancy Tax
- City Council Report to Submit a Measure to the Voters at the 2022 General Municipal Election to Increase the City's Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) by 2%, from 12% to 14%
- Resolution 22-61: Requesting a Measure relating to Increasing the Transient Occupancy Tax by 2% in the General Municipal Election
- Primary Argument in Favor of Measure N (PDF)
- Impartial Analysis for Measure N (PDF)
Contact & Questions
For Municipal Election questions, please email the City Clerk's office or call 650-259-2414.
City Council Candidates
Alphabetical listing of candidates of Millbrae City Council by Districts (Contact information will only be posted with the Candidate's written authorization):
Email Angelina Cahalan
Angelina Cahalan's Website
|Nonprofit Program Director|
|Wayne J. Lee|
Email Wayne J. Lee
P.O. Box 1571
Millbrae, CA 94030
Wayne J. Lee's Website
|Neighborhood Civic Leader|
|San Mateo County Community College District Trustee|
Email Bob Nguyen (Write-In)
PO Box 571
Millbrae, CA 94030
|(No Ballot Designation for Write-In Candidates)|
District 2 City Council Candidate
- Occupation: Non-Profit Program Director
- Age: 44
I am a 20-year resident of Millbrae District 2 and a mother of two children attending the Millbrae public school system. I am an active member of the Lomita Park Parent Teacher Association (PTA), and an advocate of the Millbrae School District and City Council.
I am passionate about making sure my neighbors' voices are heard, that concrete actions are taken to address their concerns, and helping all Millbrae residents and businesses thrive.
Together, let us fix our water infrastructure and storm drains to prevent flooding, repair our streets, celebrate and create equity within our diverse community, increase access to city resources for all residents and improve transparency between local government and the people.
Working for organizations such as St. Anthony's Dining Room and Meals on Wheels, I have dedicated my career to helping communities access basic resources. I am an adept communicator accomplished in working with individuals from diverse backgrounds across the community, local government, and small businesses. Additionally, I have experience in disaster resilience, community organizing, and working with the homeless population.
I look forward to rounding out a robust and experienced City Council with my experience and desire for a Millbrae where everyone belongs, and their voices are heard. I would appreciate your vote.
District 2 City Council Candidate
- Occupation: Community Non-Profit Executive
- Age: 59
As your Councilmember I'll provide experienced leadership for our safety and quality of life.
I'm a father, 34-year Green Hills resident, and former Millbrae Mayor. That's why I was so devastated over last year's flooding tragedy at Hemlock/Hillcrest. As Mayor, the community's safety was always my top priority. I fought to save Millbrae Fire Department from devastating cuts, securing $12,000,000 for fire protection, emergency medical response, and public health.
I'll advocate for you in City Hall to ensure these tragedies don't happen again.
As your Councilmember I'll continue working to prioritize our safety: maintain storm drains to prevent flooding; fix our streets, potholes, parks, and playgrounds; protect 911/emergency medical response; keep school sites safe; develop a District 2 Disaster Preparedness Plan.
We must reduce homelessness. I'm expanding partnerships to provide counseling, substance abuse treatment, and transitional housing while ensuring our business districts, parks and public areas are safe/secure for everyone.
Millbrae is a welcoming City. I'll continue my leadership to end Asian hate crimes and promote equity/equal access to services.
Join Senator Josh Becker, Assemblymember Kevin Mullin, Supervisor Dave Pine, Mayor Anne Oliva, School Board President Frank Barbaro: re-elect Wayne Lee to the Council! Take my neighborhood survey at: WayneLeeMillbrae.com
District 4 City Council Candidate
Occupation: Educator, Non-Profit Executive Director
The City of Millbrae is a wonderful place to call home, it is truly a gem of diversity within our County. I am seeking to gain your trust and vote to serve as your representative on the City Council. I live in District 4 with my wife, three children and dog Coco. I have served as an elected official for nearly a decade and a half and most recently, I have served as your representative on the San Mateo County Community College Board.
I graduated from Skyline College, and served as San Mateo County Community College District Student Trustee. I received my Bachelor's degree from California State University with a major in Criminal Justice.
I am employed as the Executive Director of a local Non-profit that serves underrepresented youth. I have committed my adult life to public service and community stewardship.
I humbly ask for your support, trust and your vote to continue to serve this great community that we call home.
I'm eager to put my leadership skills in public service to work for all Millbrae residents as a Millbrae City Council Member.
Please visit votegoodman.com for more information.
Notice of Election
Notice is hereby given that a General Municipal Election will be held in the City of Millbrae on Tuesday, November 8, 2022, for the following municipal officers:
- Two Members of the City Council to represent Council Districts Two and Four, each with four-year terms.
- The polls will be open between the hours of 7 am and 8 pm
City of Millbrae, California
Dated: July 11, 2022
特此通告，茲定於2022 年11 月8 日 週 二 在 Millbrae 市 舉 行 全 市 大 選，選 出 下 列 市 政 官 員：
- 兩(2) 名市議會議員，分別代表市議會第二區和第四區，任期均為(4) 年。
- 投票站在選舉日早晨7 時至晚上8 時開放。
日期：2022 年7 月11 日
Por la presente se da aviso de que se celebrará una Elección General Municipal en la Ciudad de Millbrae el martes, 8 de noviembre de 2022, para los siguientes funcionarios municipales:
- Dos (2) miembros del Concejo Municipal para representar a los Distritos del Concejo Dos y Cuatro, cada uno por cuatro (4) años de mandato.
- Las urnas estarán abiertas entre las 7 am y las 8 pm
Secretaria de la Ciudad
Ciudad de Millbrae, California
Fecha: 11 de julio de 2022
IPINAPAUNAWA na isang Pangkalahatang Halalan sa Munisipyo ang gaganapin sa Lungsod ng Millbrae sa Martes, Nobyembre 8, 2022, para sa mga sumusunod na opisyal ng munisipyo:
- Dalawang (2) Miyembro ng Konseho ng Lungsod para katawanin ang mga Konseho ng mga Distrito ng Two at Four, na may apat (4) na taong termino bawat isa.
- Ang mga botohan ay bukas sa pagitan ng ika-7 nang umaga at ika-8 nang gabi
Kleriko ng Lungsod
Lungsod ng Millbrae, California
Petsa: Hulyo 11, 2022