- Detect and repair all leaks in irrigation system.
- Consider using low-volume irrigation, such as a drip system.
- Install an automatic rain shut-off device on sprinkler systems.
- Set sprinklers to water the lawn or garden only - not the street or sidewalk.
- Water the lawn or garden early in the morning or in the evening when wind and evaporation are lowest.
- Water landscape only when needed; look for signs of wilt before watering established plants.
- Consider using drought-tolerant, low-maintenance plants.
- Use mulch around shrubs and garden plants to reduce evaporation from the soil surface.
- Aerate turf to encourage movement of water to the root zone.
- Raise lawn mower cutting height to at least 3 inches - longer grass blades help shade each other, reduce evaporation, and inhibit weed growth.
Other Outdoor Uses:
- Make sure all hoses have shut-off nozzles.
- Never hose down sidewalks, driveways and patios; use a broom.
- Wash vehicles only when needed; wash the car with water from a bucket or consider using a commercial car wash that recycles water.
- Avoid purchasing recreational water toys which require a constant stream of water.
- Consider purchasing a new water-saving swimming pool filter.
- Use a pool cover to reduce evaporation when pool is not being used.
- Do not install or use ornamental water features unless they recycle the water.