Important Update: COVID-19


Short Term Residential Rentals

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Short Term Residential Rentals

SPECIAL COVID-19 NOTICE from San Mateo County:  

Yes with conditions. Under the County’s Order, short-term rentals can likely still operate to a limited extent, but renters should only use short-term rentals when necessary to essential activities. For example, if a person had to travel to the County to help build a hospital, the person could stay in a short-term rental. Another example of an allowed rental would be if a person needed to leave their home for their safety, e.g., domestic violence. Hosts should make clear to potential guests that vacations and leisure travel are not allowed under the County’s Order. Hosts should take all reasonable measures to avoid renting to individuals displaying signs of illness and should also deep-clean/disinfect between rentals.


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)

The City of Millbrae has experienced an increase in residents renting both homes and rooms to renters for periods of less than thirty days.  Short Term Residential Rental’s (STRR’s) present opportunities for the City and its residents, including the potential for residents to increase their income and for visitors to become new customers for local businesses.  In order to better manage and regulate STRR’s and the issues that they may bring to residential neighborhoods in Millbrae, the City of Millbrae approved Ordinance No. 771 on July 31, 2018, regulating STRR’s to accommodate the emergence and growing popularity of on-line home sharing platforms in the City of Millbrae.

The links below provide information on how to apply for an STRR including completing the business license, permit application and transient occupancy tax certification form along with phone numbers for Code Enforcement and the Millbrae Sheriff.  Fines up to $l,000/day may be imposed for those operating STRR's illegally.

The STRR Ordinance requires that residents interested in operating a STRR at their residence apply to the Community Development Department for a STRR permit. As designed this program will require a business license, STRR permit, completion of a transient occupancy tax certification form along with health and safety inspections to ensure compliance with applicable codes.

Steps to obtain an STRR:

  1. Visit the Planning Department to complete and submit for review, a STRR permit application for a transient occupancy registration certificate. (fee required) Property Tax Statement or Deed of Ownership must be presented at Planning Department.
  2. Schedule a Building Safety Inspection (fee required)
  3. Visit the Finance Department to:
  • Pay back taxes (up to 3 years) for the annual Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT),if the STRR is existing and has been operating for the past 3 years.
  • Obtain Business License (fee required)
  • Obtain Home Occupation License (fee required)

To report complaints, issues or concerns about short term rentals, please contact the Code Enforcement Hotline at 650-259-2440.  You may also file a complaint form at the Community Development Department.  For noise disturbance please contact the Millbrae Police Bureau: Business (24 hours, non-emergency): 650-259-2300. 

Short Term Residential Rental Links:

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer