Business License Application Information
All business entities with a mailing address or location within the City of Millbrae, and all out of town business entities operating within the City of Millbrae are required to maintain an active City of Millbrae Business License (Millbrae Municipal Code Section 7.05)
- The City of Millbrae Business License year begins on July 1st, and ends the following June 30th.
- All business entities and non profit organizations must first apply for, pay, and receive a Business License from the City of Millbrae before operations may commence.
- Before a Business License will be issued, each applicant is required to obtain approval from various City Departments utilizing the Departmental Approval Form (except for contractors located outside of the City limits). The City Departments will review the type of business activity; location; determine zoning; sign issues; and if additional permits or special procedures will be required.
- A Home Occupation Permit is required for all home based businesses in addition to the Business License Application. The Home Occupation Permit has a onetime only fee.
- Other business entities such as a Gun Dealer, Pawnbroker, Taxicab, Limousine, Door to Door Solicitation/Selling, Massage, or Towing Service, have other special procedures and/or permits.
- Copies of all Federal, State and County registration documents must be submitted with the Business License application.
- It is the responsibility of the Business License applicant to renew their Business License each year
Business Licenses are not transferable: Please notify the City of Millbrae Finance Department immediately if there are any changes in business activity, name, location, or if the business is sold or closed.
Business License Application Form: Please be specific when describing the business activity. Include the name, home address and Federal or social security number of all owners, partners or corporate officers. A specific street address is required for the business location. A Business License will not be issued to a post office box or mail box. Incomplete applications will not be processed and will be returned to the applicant.
Compliance with the registration requirements of all Federal, State and County agencies is required before a Business License will be issued. Please review the list below and contact the appropriate Agencies.
- Business License Application
- Business License Approval Form for Millbrae Business Owners Only
- Business License Application (Contractor)
- Home Occupation Permit
- Utility Billing Statement Information
- Utility Authorization Form for Automatic Payment Withdrawal
- City of Millbrae Service and Fee Schedule
- Transient Occupancy Tax Return
- Claim for Exemption from Transient Occupancy Tax
Finance Department Divisions
Our Customer Service Window is located at:
Millbrae City Hall
621 Magnolia Ave
Millbrae, CA 94030
Hours of Operation:
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Contact Phone Numbers:
- Utility Billing: (650) 259-2420
- Business License: (650) 259-2358
- Accounts Payable: (650) 259-2355
Business License/Home Occupation Permits
City of Millbrae - Finance Department
621 Magnolia Avenue
Millbrae, CA 94030
Fictitious Name Statement
County of San Mateo - County Clerk
555 County Center, 1st Floor
Redwood City, CA 94063
County of San Mateo - Health Department
2000 Alameda de las Pulgas Suite 100
San Mateo, CA 94403
Sellers Permit - Required for selling tangible property that is subject to State sales and use tax
State of California - Board of Equalization
121 Spear Street, Suite 460
San Francisco, CA 94105-1584
(800) 400-7115 or (415) 356-6600
Alcohol Beverage License - Required for selling or serving liquor.
State of California - Alcoholic Beverage Control Board
71 Stevenson Street, Suite 1500
San Francisco, CA 94105
State Contractor's License
State of California - Contractor's State License Board
PO Box 26000
Sacramento, CA 95826
Articles of Incorporation
State of California - Secretary of State
1500 11st Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
State Payroll Identification Number
State of California - Employment Development Department
951 Mariner's Island Boulevard, #310
San Mateo, CA 94404
Child Care & Resident Home Care
State of California - Department of Social Services
801 Traeger Avenue, Suite 100
San Bruno, CA 94066