Mayor’s Civic Coordinating Council Meeting on September 26, 2019
The Mayor’s Civic Coordinating Council meeting was held on Thursday, September 26, at 8:30 am at City Hall. Representatives from the Millbrae Historical Society, Millbrae Lions Club, Millbrae Rotary Club, Japanese Cultural Festival Committee, Sister Cities Commission, Senior Advisory Committee, Cultural Arts Advisory Committee, Millbrae Cultural Committee, Soroptimist Club, Friends of the Millbrae Library, and Millbrae Community Foundation as well as City staff attended the meeting.
- Announced Movie Night on Friday, October 18, at 6:00 pm at Central Park showing the movie Hotel Transylvania.
- Announced a new Disc Golf Course along the Spur Trail is in the design phase.
- Announced Mr. & Mrs. Santa Claus Photo Day at the gazebo on Saturday, December 7, before the tree lighting.
- Beats and Brews on Broadway on September 12 was a great success.
- Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) is re-striping the parking garage and working on re-circulation in preparation for the Gateway at Millbrae Station Project to break ground in November.The Parking Management Plan needs to be approved by the City before building permits are issued.
- For the Serra Station Project we don’t expect to break ground this year.The City is in the process of getting a title transferred from BART to the City for California Drive.California Drive needs to be extended for circulation purposes and to access the parking garage.
- The City is working with High Speed Rail (HSR) on alternative options for the Millbrae HSR Station.The design that HSR is proposing would eliminate over 400 units of approved housing.The City has provided HSR with 3 alternative options and is asking HSR to re-think the station and alignment of the tracks.
- The property where the vacant Orchard Supply Hardware (OSH) is located is owned by the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (SFPUC).Target is interested in leasing this property, however SFPUC has released a Request for Proposals (RFP) for a 5 year lease.Target requires at least a 20 year lease with two 5 year options for renewal.The San Francisco International Airport is interested in using the OSH site as a construction site for the lay-out of their 5th terminal.The City will not allow this.
- The City Council has agreed not to enter into an agreement with Calvano Development at this time for the development of property within the Millbrae Station Area Specific Plan (MSASP) due to the 2001 agreement with BART re implementation of the Specific Plan which requires BART to transfer property to the City.Once we secure the property we can consider entering into an agreement.
- At the City Council meeting on September 10 the City Council discussed the Regional Housing Needs Assessment (RHNA).This is a mandate from the State on the number of new homes the City needs to build and how affordable these houses need to be in order to meet the housing needs of people of all income levels.
- The traffic congestion on Millbrae Avenue caused by Uber and Lyft drivers has died down.Thanked staff for working on this issue.
- The City recently passed a Smoking Ordinance prohibiting smoking in multi-unit housing.
- The City has implemented a Green Infrastructure (GI) project on Taylor and Ashton.
- The City has started a United Against Hate campaign together with the cities of Burlingame and San Bruno.November 17 -23 is United Against Hate Week and the City will put together some activities for this week.
- The Peninsula Chinese Business Association (PCBA) has received some grant money and is looking for ways to spend it.All organizations are welcome to submit requests for grant funding.
- The November Mayor’s Civic Coordinating Council meeting will be held on Thursday, November 21.The date needed to be changed due to the Thanksgiving Day holiday.
Millbrae Historical Society
- Announced the Annual Children’s Christmas Party at the Millbrae Railroad Museum on Saturday, December 7.
- Announced the Grand Re-opening of the Millbrae Train Museum on Saturday, October 26, at 12:00 noon.The museum is located at the intersection of Murchison Dr. and California Dr.
Millbrae Rotary Club
- Announced the Millbrae Rotary Mayor’s Cup Golf Tournament on Thursday, October 24, at 10:00 am at the Crystal Springs Golf Course.
- Announced the 22nd Rotary Annual Kids Carnival on Sunday, October 27, from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm.
Japanese Culture Festival Committee
- Announced the 14th Annual Japanese Culture Festival on Sunday, October 6, from 10:30 am to 4:30 pm in the Millbrae Library Plaza.
Cultural Arts Advisory Committee
- Announced the completion of the painting of the utility box in front of Living Spaces.This is the first utility box to be painted in the committee’s Utility Box Painting Project.
- Announced two vacancies on the Cultural Arts Advisory Committee and invited everyone to apply.
Senior Advisory Committee
- Announced Senior Lounge on Tuesday, October 1, from 10:00 am to 12:00 noon at the Community Center.
- Announced the Self-Help for the Elderly 34th Longevity Walkathon Parade and Fair on Saturday, October 5, at 9:00 am.
Millbrae Cultural Committee
- Announced that the Mid-Autumn Festival on September 2 was a great success.
- Announced that the committee is planning the Lunar New Year Parade with a tentative date of Saturday, January 18, for the parade and Sunday, January 19, for a fair.
Millbrae Lions Club
- Announced the Lions Marinated Crab Feed on Saturday, October 26, at 5:30 pm at St. Dunstan Hall located at 1133 Broadway.
- Announced the 47th Annual Millbrae Man Woman and Student of the Year dinner on Friday, October 18, at 6:00 pm at the Green Hills Country Club.
- Announced the Lions Monster March on Saturday, October 26, from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm.
Millbrae Community Foundation
- Announced the Surfin’ Safari Live Music Concert on Friday, September 27, at 7:00 pm at the Capuchino High School Little Theater.
Friends of the Millbrae Library
- Announced the Friends of the Millbrae Library Twice Yearly Big Book and Media Sale on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, November 15 – 17 at the Millbrae Library.