Residential Burglary Prevention Tips
The San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office would like to advise the public of recent residential burglary attempts in our region. The Sheriff’s Office is taking steps to combat these incidents, but we need your help.
Many residential burglaries occur when residents are not home or appear not to be home. Take steps to deter would be burglars by keeping doors locked and alarms set, using exterior and interior security lights, and keeping security cameras in good working order.
Have an upcoming vacation? Call the Sheriff’s Office non-emergency number at 650-363-4911 to request vacation house checks.
If you see anything suspicious in your neighborhood, call the Sheriff’s Office. For emergencies or in progress crimes, dial 911. For all non-emergencies, callers can use 650-363-4911.
- Try not to leave valuables in plain sight through open windows or doors.
- Make your home appear as if someone is there by leaving on lights, music, and/or televisions.
- If possible, install and use security systems and cameras.
- Secure and lock all windows and doors.
- Don’t leave a spare key out.
- Secure and maintain yard, patios, and outdoor spaces. Trim back concealing landscaping if possible.