Water & Sewer Service

We welcome you as a customer. Whether you have just moved into the City of Millbrae or simply are relocating within the City of Millbrae, we hope the following information will be helpful. Our job is to serve you and we take it seriously.

New residents or businesses will have to establish an account for Water and Sewer Service. This utility service can be set up by calling 650-259-2420 or by visiting the Finance Department's Customer Service counter in the lobby:

  • Millbrae City Hall
    621 Magnolia Avenue
    Millbrae, CA

Water and Sewer Service is provided and maintained by the City of Millbrae Public Works Department. Utility statement generation and customer accounts are maintained by the City of Millbrae Finance Department. The required deposit for a Business account varies as it is based on the type of business conducted

Note: A deposit of $150 is required for residential property service. The deposit will be refunded after one year of prompt payment history or requested discontinuance of service.