Waste Prevention Program
The Recycling and Waste Prevention Program informs and educates residents, businesses, schools, and city departments on a variety of opportunities to reduce, reuse, compost, and recycle products, and information on non-toxic and less toxic products.
South San Francisco Scavenger Company provides recycling, organics, and waste hauling services to Millbrae residents and businesses. For more information and a curbside recycling brochure, call them at 650-589-4020.
- AB 1826 (PDF) - California's Mandatory Organics Recycling Law for Commercial Businesses and Multi-family Complexes
- AB 341 - California's Mandatory Recycling Law: Commercial Businesses, Multi-Family Complexes, and Public Entities
- City of Millbrae Municipal Zero Waste Policy (PDF) (signed November 30th, 2020)
- Debris Box/Dumpster/Roll-Off Bin Information
- Household Hazardous Waste
- South San Francisco Scavenger Buy Back Center
California's Mandatory Recycling Law: Commercial Businesses, Multi-Family Complexes, and Public Entities
Debris Box/Dumpster/Roll-Off Bin Information
The City of Millbrae has an exclusive Franchise Agreement with the South San Francisco Scavenger Company for debris box/dumpster/roll-off bin services which requires that they are rented from the South San Francisco Scavenger Company. The one exception is that California State licensed demolition or construction contractors are allowed to self-haul their own garbage and recyclables only if they use their own vehicles, equipment and employees to perform the self-hauling, and as long as such hauling is incidental to their primary business function, e.g., roofer, plumber, etc.
South San Francisco Scavenger Company debris box information:
- City of Millbrae Debris Box/Dumpster/Roll-Off Bin Acknowledge and Information Verification Form (PDF)
- Roll-Off Box
South San Francisco Scavenger Buy Back Center
SSF Scavenger operates a buyback center at 500 East Jamie Court, South San Francisco, CA 94080. Hours are Monday through Friday, 7 am to 1 pm. No weekend hours. Phone: 650-589-5511.
Household Hazardous Waste
Please visit SSF Scavenger for detailed information on curbside pick-up.
Lead acid and automotive batteries are not allowed. To find out where to recycle these types of batteries free of charge, call 650-363-4718 or visit San Mateo County Health's website.
Bring anti-freeze, household and car batteries, cleaning supplies, pesticides, hobby products, latex paint, motor oil, oil filters, paint thinner, pool products, oil-based paints, fluorescent lights, and mercury thermometers to special drop-off locations.
- San Mateo County Household Hazardous Waste Hotline (for an appointment at a local drop-off site): 650-363-4718.
- BOPA Center (batteries, oil, paint, antifreeze, sharps, etc.) is operated by SSF Scavenger at the Blue Line Transfer Station at 500 East Jamie Court, South San Francisco.
Unwanted/unused medications can be dropped off at the Millbrae Police Bureau lobby, 581 Magnolia Avenue, Millbrae.
- View the California Universal Waste Law (PDF)
- View local Millbrae businesses that will collect and recycle your fluorescent lights
Latest update: October 12th, 2022