Skip to page body Home About Community Living Doing Business Browse by Topic I Want to... Your Government
City of Millbrae

Starting a Business in the City of Millbrae








Our Customer Service Window is located at:

Millbrae City Hall
621 Magnolia Ave
Millbrae, CA 94030


Hours of Operation:

8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.


Contact Phone Numbers:

Utility Billing: (650) 259-2420

Business License: (650) 259-2352

Accounts Payable: (650) 259-2355


Business License Application

Business License Application (Contractor)

Home Occupation Permit


Utility Billing Statement Information

Utility Authorization Form for Automatic Payment Withdrawal

City of Millbrae Service and Fee Schedule 


All business entities with a mailing address or location within the City of Millbrae, and all out of town business entities operating within the City of Millbrae are required to maintain an active City of Millbrae Business License (Millbrae Municipal Code Section 7.05)

  • The City of Millbrae Business License year begins on July 1st, and ends the following June 30th.
  • All business entities and non profit organizations must first apply for, pay, and receive a Business License from the City of Millbrae before operations may commence.  
  • Before a Business License will be issued, each applicant is required to obtain approval from various City Departments utilizing the Departmental Approval Form (except for contractors located outside of the City limits).  The City Departments will review the type of business activity; location; determine zoning; sign issues; and if  additional permits or special procedures will be required.
  • A Home Occupation Permit is required for all home based businesses in addition to the Business License Application. The Home Occupation Permit has a onetime only fee.
  • Other business entities such as a Gun Dealer, Pawnbroker, Taxicab, Limousine, Door to Door Solicitation/Selling, Massage, or Towing Service,  have other special procedures and/or permits.
  • Copies of all Federal, State and County registration documents must be submitted with the Business License application.
  • It is the responsibility of the Business License applicant to renew their Business License each year.

Business Licenses are not transferrable:   Please notify the City of Millbrae Finance Department immediately if there are any changes in business activity, name, location, or if the business is sold or closed.

Business License Application Form:   Please be specific when describing the business activity. Include the name, home address and Federal or social security number of all owners, partners or corporate officers. A specific street address is required for the business location.  A Business License will not be issued to a post office box or mail box.  Incomplete applications will not be processed and will be returned to the applicant.

Compliance with the registration requirements of all Federal, State and County agencies is required before a Business License will be issued. Please review the list below and contact the appropriate Agencies. 

Note: The State Board of Equalization has implemented a new electronic registration system to help businesses get their permits with the BOE and start operating faster. For information on this new program, called eReg, visit the BOE's information page at

Contact Information:

City of Millbrae

 Business License
 Home Occupation Permits

 City of Millbrae
 Finance Department - Business License

 621 Magnolia Avenue
 Millbrae, CA 94030
 (650) 259-2352

County of San Mateo

  Fictitious Name Statement   Health Permit
 County Clerk  Health Department
 555 County Center, 1st Floor

 2000 Alameda de las Pulgas, 
 Suite 100

 Redwood City, CA 94063  San Mateo, CA 94403
 (650) 363-4500  (650) 372-6200

State of California

  Sellers Permit   Alcohol Beverage License
 Board of Equalization  Alcoholic Beverage Control Board
 121 Spear Street, Suite 460  71 Stevenson Street, Suite 1500
 San Francisco, CA 94105-1584  San Francisco, CA 94105
 (800) 400-7115 or (415) 356-6600  (415) 356-6500
 Required for selling tangible property that
 is subject to State sales and use tax.
 Required for selling or serving liquor.
  State Contractor's License   Articles of Incorporation
 Contractor's State License Board  Secretary of State
 PO Box 26000  1500 11st Street
 Sacramento, CA 95826  Sacramento, CA 95814
 1-800-321-2752  (916) 653-6814
  State Payroll Identification Number   Child Care & Resident Home Care
 Employment Development Department  Department of Social Services
 951 Mariner's Island Boulevard, #310

 801 Traeger Avenue, Suite 100
 MS: 29-05

 San Mateo, CA 94404  San Bruno, CA 94066
 (888) 845-3886  (650) 266-8843

Last updated: 7/30/2013 4:49:09 PM