We welcome you as a customer. Whether you have just moved into the City of Millbrae or simply are relocating within the City of Millbrae, we hope the following information will be helpful. Our job is to serve you and we take it seriously.
New Customer Accounts
New residents or businesses will have to establish an account for Water and Sewer Service. This utility service can be set up by visiting the Finance Department’s Customer Service counter in the lobby at
Millbrae City Hall
621 Magnolia Ave
or by calling (650) 259-2420
- Water and Sewer Service is provided and maintained by the City of Millbrae Public Works Department.
- Utility statement generation and customer accounts are maintained by the City of Millbrae Finance Department.
Note: A deposit of $150.00 is required for residential property service. The deposit will be refunded after one year of prompt payment history, or requested discontinuance of service.
The required deposit for a Business account varies as it is based on the type of business conducted
Water and Sewer Service Statement/Billing
Water and Sewer Services are billed together bimonthly. The month a customer will receive their statement varies depending on their location, as billing cycles are specific for each area within the City of Millbrae.
Water consumption is metered, and meters are read every other month by City of Millbrae Public Works Department Meter Readers.
- Residential Water Service is billed at a rate of $5.45 per unit consumed (1 unit = 748 gallons), plus a service charge for the meter. The standard residential meter size is 3/4", of which the monthly fee is $15.00. Larger meter sizes will cost more per month.
- Residential Sewer Service is $47.70 per month plus a variable consumption charge of $5.51per unit. The sewer usage is determined by multiplying the variable rate by the lessor of the actual water consumption or the Average Winter Demand. The Average Winter Demand is calculated annually by averaging the water usage during the winter months (November - February or December - March).
The payment due date is shown on the statement. To ensure proper credit to your account, always enclose the bottom portion of your statement with your payment, and use the envelope provided. To avoid a delinquent notice, and/or a penalty for late payment, be sure to mail your payment before the due date. Payments can also be made at the drop box located in the customer parking lot at City Hall, or the Finance Department’s Customer Service counter located in the lobby of City Hall.
The City of Millbrae Public Works Department is responsible for the water distribution system, the water meter, and the service line between the meter and the distribution system. In addition, the City of Millbrae Public Works Department is responsible for the sewage collection system excluding laterals and their connections to the system.
Customers are responsible for the internal plumbing from the water meter into the structure and for sewer laterals out to the City street sewer mains.
When a problems occur which are suspected to be originating in the City system, the City of Millbrae Public Works Department should be called. Notable examples of problems in the City system are low or no water pressure or sewage backup through floor drains. When indications of a problem are not the internal responsibility of the individual customer, please call the City of Millbrae Public Works Department before employing the services of a private plumber.
Help in an Emergency
The top priority of the City of Millbrae Public Works Department is to provide high-quality Water and Sewer Services to the City of Millbrae customers. Nevertheless, problems do occur. This is understandable, considering the large volume of water and wastewater moving daily through more than 70 miles of water lines, 60 miles of sewer lines, and 21 miles of storm drains.
Please be advised the water line from the meter to the residence or place of business is the property owner's responsibility. In addition, the sanitary sewer lateral from the structure to the City's sewer line is considered to be part of the plumbing and is the property owner's responsibility. On the other hand, if you experience a problem and suspect it is related to a main line system, please let us know. Call the City of Millbrae Public Works Department at:
- (650) 259-2375 during regular office hours (Monday - Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm)
- If emergencies arise during non business hours, weekends or holidays, please call (650) 363-4951
Other Questions & Concerns
Invariably, questions may arise regarding your Water and Sewers tatement. Some may be general in nature while others may be more specific. For example:
- Why does a certain charge appear on my statement?
- What can I do if I am unable to pay my statement by the due date?
- What penalties are charged for late payment?
- What can I do if my water service is turned off for nonpayment?
The questions listed above, and other questions or concerns can be answered by our Customer Service Staff, either in person at the Finance Department Customer Service counter, located at City Hall, calling (650)259-2420, or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Staff can also redirect your questions or concerns to the proper department.